Friday, August 31, 2012

National obsessions, sweeping and mopping


It would be difficult to miss all the people sweeping the streets, sidewalks, plazas, houses, and condo buildings. With all the warm, wet weather and the rate at which plants grow here, there should be leaves, foliage, and plant matter scattered everywhere, except for the fact that people are constantly sweeping this stuff up. I am glad about this for 3 reasons: more people have jobs, no one is using leaf blowers, and the streets stay clean. The two most common brooms I have seen are the ones from Myanmar (which I bought for our condo, but I think it is from some kind of grain and it sheds so much that it makes more mess than it cleans up. I think it might be better for outside to sweep large items together and not worry so much about the small stuff-just like life ; )) and the other more common broom (below). 

                                                                                  
Myanmar house broom
street sweeping broom

1 comment:

  1. Love these brooms! I just got some broom corn seed and am going to try to grow my own broom next summer. Thanks for posting the pictures!

    ReplyDelete