Sunday, September 9, 2012

Bukit Gasing Forest Park


This morning I took my first trek in Malaysia. For you uninitiated folks, that just means a hike in the forest. Yesterday, our real estate agent Eliza, invited our family to join her for a trek through Bukit Gasing Forest Park. This is a heavily forested place in town that she visits weekly for a little exercise. As it turned out, I was the only one to join Eliza this morning, but it was nice to get the lay of the land for future trekking expeditions. Eliza picked me up at 7:15am (a bit on the early side for me), but I didn’t complain as I knew it would soon be hot. So, with tennies, shorts, a water bottle, and mosquito repellant, we set out on our journey. It was a short drive to the preserve and many cars already lined the roads leading to the park entrance. The sky loomed dark. And soon after entering the park, it started raining. Fortunately, the upper canopy blocked much of the rain, so the rain that we did get was enjoyable. The trail consisted of dirt, some cement blocks, and lots of tree roots. It was a nice combination of climbing and descending with many forested vistas. Although the trail was busy with people, the hiking was still quite pleasant. The Malaysian’s interest in trekking is surprising to me as their main passion seems to be shopping (in megamalls) and yet many of them do enjoy a moderately strenuous hike in the woods on a regular basis. Eliza and I spent just over an hour in the forest and I felt I had gotten a nice outdoor experience in the heart of KL.


bukit gasing trail
more trail views

suspension bridge (not too high)

entrance to bukit gasing

trail map to bukit basing


1 comment:

  1. Hi

    Saw your Blog while collecting materials for Signages at Forest Parks.

    Appreciate if you could spare some time on this Survey. Thanks for your help!

    https://adobeformscentral.com/?f=YqU-V4gQBa%2ATFqRU2Vmc-Q

    ReplyDelete