Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Plants of Malaysia


I love tropical plants. I love the fragrances. I love the huge leaves. I love the palm trees.

On Thursday, Joe and I visited the Orchid and Hibiscus gardens in the Lake Gardens area of Kuala Lumpur. Hibiscus is the national flower of Malaysia and although both orchids and hibiscus are in bloom year round in this tropical climate, only the orchids were present in profusion. I was thrilled when I found a stall at the orchid garden selling potted orchids for RM 3 & 5 each ($1-1.60). Of course I had to buy 3 to put on our condo porch. They are easy to take care of as long as you know what to do. Orchids require filtered sun, high humidity, and weekly watering. Their planting material should be something very porous like coconut husks, bark, moss, or pebbles. I also learned that they like to be crowded in their pots. I am excited to be able to grow a plant that I wouldn’t normally grow at home. 

Here are some of the plants I am enjoying this year...

Hymenocalis caribaea (Carribean spiderlily)

ginger

Heliconia pendula

tropical fern

alocasia

my orchids

tropical foliage

frangipani (plumeria)
at the orchid garden

orchids at the orchid garden

orchids for sale

more orchids for sale

Joe captured a photo of this dragonfly at the hibiscus garden

No comments:

Post a Comment