Sunday, November 25, 2012

Finding my passions....guitar?


I’ve wanted to learn how to play guitar for many years. So this year, in my search to discover my passion/s, I decided that I had better try guitar now before my hands and fingers are too stiff to move in the new ways guitar playing requires. Not knowing whether or not I would enjoy playing guitar, I looked for a guitar I could borrow temporarily. I ended up borrowing my brother’s huge steel string guitar and then took one session of classical guitar lessons at our local art center in Davis. I was hooked. 

When we moved to Malaysia 4 months ago, one of my first tasks was to purchase a guitar. While out walking with the family our first week in KL, we came across the Guitar Store. There, I found a variety of guitars for sale-electric and acoustic, nylon and steel string. I chose a Farida steel string acoustic guitar. Not the cheapest nor the most expensive, but adequate for my needs. I was also able to sign up for guitar lessons there.

Although my fingers began learning about steel string soreness when I first began taking lessons in Davis, I didn’t have a full appreciation of it until I began playing chords and pressing multiple fingers into those steel strings repeatedly. In a way, it is like the soreness your muscles feel after exercising in a new way or exercising after having been inactive for a while. The difference is that exercise related muscle soreness goes away after a few days but finger soreness continues after months of playing. Callouses are forming on the ends of my fingertips but each day my fingers feel like they have been through the mill. Still, I continue. There is something intrinsically rewarding about making music with your own hands (even if it wouldn’t win any awards :/).

Steph with her new guitar

guitars to choose from

Madeline helping me choose...

No comments:

Post a Comment