Saturday, October 20, 2012

Fall


What does it mean to live in a place without seasons? Since we arrived in Malaysia in summer and it was hot, all was good in my world. But now that it is mid-October and there is no lessening of heat and no shortening of our days, I feel a little discombobulated especially since I love fall so much. It is the relief of cool days and nights after many days, weeks, and months of hot summer that refreshes and rejuvenates me. It is the pumpkin patch and the corn maze that energize me and remind me of all the falls past. It is PUMPKIN PIES!!! It is Halloween. It is preparing the garden for winter. It is making soups and stews and warming foods. It is fires in the hearth. And it is my birthday. 


Some of these things I will still be able to enjoy like pumpkin pies (now that I found some canned pumpkin ;)) and my birthday, of course! Pumpkin pie has always represented the fall as my birthday is at the end of October, just before Halloween. This year, pumpkin pie will be the entire representation of all the fall traditions I love as Halloween isn’t really celebrated here and neither corn (for corn stalks) nor pumpkins are grown here. I think I can do it ; ) By the way, a medium sized pumpkin here is $33!!! Guess I won’t be buying any pumpkins this year :( Enjoy your fall and have something pumpkiny for me ; ).

Below are some pumpkiny times from our past...


Steph's pumpkin

Madeline w/pumpkin vase

M at pumpkin patch/corn maze

the cutest pumpkin ever...

K, M, & G at the corn maze

the phantom and a mermaid

witch, wizard, and scare farmer...
And here are this year's fall pictures :

a coconut I found on the beach in Sarawak, Borneo, became my pumpkin this fall


Madeline's Halloween cat


steph's bday dinner at Laziz, a Mediterranean restaurant (yum!)


No comments:

Post a Comment